Monday, November 3, 2008

Greener Seaweed

On Saturday, me and my parents and brother went to New York City. As we approached the "tkts" booth, we weren't really sure what we would be able to see, however, the night before I looked up the tickets that were on sale the day before, and at the bottom of the list was the Little Mermaid. So I got myself all excited and was only able to sleep for two hours that night. Despite being tired, I got out of bed at 5:30 in the morning and we made our way to the big city.

When we got to the half-price tkts booth, sure enough, the Little Mermaid was on the list. We got tickets in the orchestra section, seven rows away from the stage. Now, anyone who knows me knows of my love for all things Little Mermaid. So this was pretty much a dream come true for me. I remember having seen the little flyer in the mail last November, and saying "we HAVE to go see that." So I never expected to actually get tickets so soon, and without having purchased them ahead of time even.

Anyway, I can't even put the spectacularity of this show into words. It was amazing. The actors all played their parts perfectly, and were really into it. It put the movie to shame, that's how good it was. I truly felt like I was a "part of their world", pun completely intended. Rambling aside, it was a great day, filled with fun and exercise.

We went to a flea market entitled "Hell's Kitchen", which turned out to be less fun than expected, since it was pretty much all junk they were selling, and barely any kitchen accessories. Next, we headed over to an Irish bar where we watched football and had lunch. Although quite tasty, my Shepherd's Pie was way over-priced, and something I would not recommend ordering in New York City, as it costs pretty much nothing to make. We then walked through the famous Macy's which was seven floors vertical and like two buildings wide. In other words, it was big. And, we did not actually shop for anything because we spent the whole time we were in it riding the escalators up and down. It sounds funny I'm sure, however it was rather dizzy-ing. I'm surprised Mom escaped without motion sickness. Not to mention, the wooden escalators were slightly scary... they made creaky noises as they moved.

After Macy's we went to the show. In case I didn't make it clear, it was wonderful. I cried several times, it was so wonderful. Next, we headed over to the Virgin records megastore, where my dad was able to fuel his fetish: vinyl albums. After about an hour in there, we got on the subway to go to a bookstore that had relocated to Times Square, where we had just been. But the subway trip wasn't a complete waste; we went down to the South Street Seaport to look around and have a beer. A festively flavored one apparently. (I hate beer, so it just tasted like beer to me, however it supposedly tasted like pumpkin pie.) Finally, we got back on the subway and wet back to the car to go back to Brandon's, pick up Moxie, and eat some dinner. I don't even remember the ride home, since I was asleep as soon as I sat down in the car. But it was still a wonderful day.

2 comments:

NICKI said...

I am jealous!!
Hope Dad controlled himself at Hells Kitchen...

Shani said...

Wow!!! I am soooooooo jealous! How lucky to have seen Ariel in the flesh!